What are the clear signs of a pigeon infestation?
The Pigeon has come to rely on humans as a source of food which is why they can be found in almost any area of the UK.
Due to this dependence on humans pigeons have become a major nuisance pest. Pigeons will try to build their nest on sheltered structures such as building, bridges and warehouses. Pigeons will also try to enter loft spaces and void areas to nest and as pigeons will nest in large groups lots of damage can be caused.
A sign associated with pigeon activity that requires help can include:
- Fouling: The most obvious sign of a pigeon problem, guano is not only unsightly it can cause damage to buildings and has health implications.
- Smell: the build-up of guano especially in damp areas can lead to a strong horrible smell.
How to get rid of pigeons?
Pigeon control is essential should you have a problem. The longer the problem is left untreated the more expensive it can be to treat the overall problem.
To help you get rid of your pigeon problem Total Pest Control can offer the following solutions:
- Bird netting – One of the most popular and effective methods used for protecting structures against pigeon. Nets highly versatile and can be used on most parts of a building where there is a void or ledge
- Ledge protection – Stainless steel post and wire systems can be fitted to ledges to make the potential landing surface unstable preventing birds from settling. This is a discreet system that is suitable for light pressure and possibly an alternative to spikes for aesthetic purposes.
- Ledge Protection – Spiking the use of metal or plastic spike which are fixed to ledges with an adhesive. The spikes do not harm the pigeon and instead they protect the building by not letting the bird land on the surface they are fitted too.
- Trapping – Trapping of pigeons is often perceived as the most humane method of removal. The birds are enticed to feed and enter open traps for a few days after which the traps are set and the birds are trapped and humanely dispatched.
- Culling – Culling can control bird infestations, but only if adopted on a continual basis. The preferred and most cost-effective method is culling by shooting.
All of our Pigeon work is completely unique and tailored to your situation.